41-acres park tells the story of the Army of the Potomac's Winter Encampment in 1863. More than 135,000 soldiers occupied Stafford County while their new commander, General Joseph Hooker rebuilt his army. This critical time has been referred to in soldier's letters as "The Union Army's Valley Forge." The Stafford Civil War Park preserves 3 earthen artillery fortifications many winter hut holes and protects the landscape that also contains a Colonial bridge abutment and a corduroy road.
Assisting the visitor are many interpretive signs and maps that give voice to the landscape and life to the past. Park hours in the warmer months are 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. - April - October; and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. November - March.
Last Updated: 10/15/2013 3:47 PM