Stewart-Lee House

Photo Credit: Lee Family Digital Archives
Photo Credit: Lee Family Digital Archives
Address
707 East Franklin Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Region Central Virginia
Locality Richmond City
Phone: (804) 643-2797
Email hbavmail@hbav.com
Stewart-Lee House www.hbav.com/stewart-lee-house.shtml

Built in 1844 for Norman Stewart, a Scottish tobacco merchant, the house was rented from his nephew, John Stewart, by Gen. Robert E. Lee's family during the Civil War. Following Lee's surrender at Appomattox, he lived here for just over two months. In 1893, John Stewart's widow and daughters donated the house to the Virginia Historical Society, which occupied it until 1958. The building, the sole survivor of Stewart's Row, is one of the finest Greek Revival town houses in the city.

The Home Builders Association of Virginia began renovations in June 2001 that included cosmetic repairs, HVAC, technological, electrical and plumbing upgrades, as well as ADA improvements.

The first floor includes period furniture and is decorated likewise. HBAV offices occupy the second and third floors. Tours available by appointment only.




Last Updated: 3/15/2010 10:51 AM
  • Enter to Win

    Spring 2014 spring sweeps 
  • Get the Virginia Travel Guide

    2014 Virginia Travel Guide

    Order your Free Virginia Travel Guide.

     Order now button  

  • Travel Updates

    What's going on around Virginia? Subscribe to the Virginia eNews.

    Subscribe