This 1912 Italianate marble palace is now open for group tours, weddings and other events. By appointment only. Call for information or to plan a group tour, contact Phil Dulaney. Major James Dooley, an executive with the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company, completed construction of the $2 million Swannanoa in 1912. Dooley, who owned the Maymont estate is Richmond, built this 52-room marble palace as a token of love for his wife, Sally May. More than 300 artisans were hired to create the palace as a replica of the Villa de Medici in Rome. Visitors today can still see the depth of James and Sally May’s relationship is places like the 4,000 piece Tiffany stained-glass window and a domed ceiling bearing the likeness of Mrs. Dooley. Limited weekend visiting hours. Check Events calendar at www.nelsoncounty.com for times.
Last Updated: 5/6/2015 10:10 AM