The parish of this beautifully renovated church dates back to 1791, with the arrivals of the Catholic laity and priests seeking
refuge from the French Revolution. In 1961, St. Mary's church experienced a grand influx of predominantly African American parishioners, inspired by the new hopes and dreams sweeping across the country. In 1991, the title of Minor Basilica was bestowed upon the church, the only one in Virginia.
Last Updated: 10/22/2013 11:23 AM