During the Civil War, the Depot was the site of the Battle of Culpeper Courthouse on September 13, 1863. Both the Union and Confederate armies used the original depot for the telegraph, transportation and supplies. In 1874, a new depot was built but that structure burned in 1903.
The present depot was rebuilt in 1904, and was completely renovated in 2003 after a Town committee formed to save it from destruction. Today, the beautifully renovated structure houses the Culpeper Tourism and Visitors Center and the Museum of Culpeper History.
The Depot is the site of "Reel LOVE", made from over 150 film reels donated by the Library of Congress Audio Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper. Reel LOVE highlights the emerging arts in Culpeper and the Virginia is for Lovers brand. Stop by, snap your pic and SHARE the LOVE.
Amtrak offers daily service to and from Culpeper to Boston, NYC, Philadephia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and points south to Charlottesville and Lynchburg, VA, and on to New Orleans.
The Visitors Center at the Depot is open 7 days a week. Hours: M-F, 8 am - 5 pm; Sat & Sun, 9 am - 5 pm
Last Updated: 10/2/2014 3:28 PM