Oakwood Cemetery is Martinsville's oldest public cemetery. The original cemetery charter was dated April 23, 1883. A cemetery committee consisting of J.R. Brown, C.P. Kearfott and C.D. Keffer was appointed by the Martinsville Town Council. Around the same time, 83/4 acres were purchased from Dr. James Moss Smith for $50 per acre to establish the site. The town of Martinsville owned the cemetery until 1887 when it was deeded to the Martinsville Cemetery Association. Today the cemetery contains a little over 20 acres of land.
Some Cemetery Facts:
First known burial was Alice Pearson around 1888. John Hix Pharis was mayor of Martinsville in 1886 and was eventually buried here Unknown Soldier- killed in a skirmish at Jones Creek in 1865 at the end of the War Between the States 69 known and 8 unknown Confederate soldiers are buried at Oakwood Cemetery. 1 Union soldier is buried at Oakwood; Benjamin Franklin Stevens, in 1916.
Last Updated: 12/13/2013 1:28 PM