The Washington Tavern, one of Boydton's oldest buildings (originally located on Washington Street), was built by James Bruce of Halifax and Beverly Sydnor in 1820. Bruce was America's first chain store owner and the tavern was used in his and Sydnor's local mercantile establishment.
Later, the building was part of the Exchange Hotel complex also located on Washington Street between Jefferson and Decatur Streets.
In the 1850's, the Washington Tavern served as the office of the stagecoach line to Petersburg, which traversed the Boydton-Petersburg Plank Road.
In the late 1900's, it was moved to its current location beside the United Methodist Church and is now being used as the parish house for the church. It may be toured along with the Methodist Church on Sundays between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM.