Harry W. Meador Coal Museum

Harry W. Meador Coal Museum
Harry W. Meador Coal Museum
Address
East Third Street and Shawnee Avenue
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Region Heart Of Appalachia
Locality Wise
Date(s)/Time:
(10:00 AM-5:00 PM)
Phone: (276) 523-9209

Museum features exhibits and objects collected by the late Harry Meador Jr., an executive with a local coal company. Museum property once served as the study of John Fox Jr, author of "Trail of the Lonesome Pine".The founder of the museum, Harry W. Meador, was an advocate of the coal mining industry. During his career, he rose from a union laborer to the Vice President of Coal Development for a local coal company.Once part of the John Fox, Jr. estate, the house was a two room building that served as a library and study. Later a wing was added and the building served as a community center for dances and other activities. Various displays exist in the museum, including a collection of photographs, mining equipment and tools, office equipment, coal company items, and a small dentist office from the early 1900's.




Last Updated: 2/23/2006 12:09 PM
  • Enter to Win

    Spring 2014 spring sweeps 
  • Get the Virginia Travel Guide

    2014 Virginia Travel Guide

    Order your Free Virginia Travel Guide.

     Order now button  

  • Travel Updates

    What's going on around Virginia? Subscribe to the Virginia eNews.

    Subscribe