In 1927, Spencer-Penn opened as a public school for elementary 1-7 and high school. When it closed in 2004, the community bought the property to once again serve the community as an education and special events center. Obtaining status on the Virginia Landmarks List and on the Historic Register was top priority and was granted in early 2005. Renovation began with emphasis to ensure the integrity and personality of an old school. The Centre invites everyone to tour the facility; to check out books in the Charles and Rose Hylton Library; to work in the Stone Technology Lab; to take one of the various classes offered; to rent a space for a small or large event or to tour the Stanley Bowles Classroom which has been renovated as an old classroom similar to the ones of 1927. School memorbilia and Spencer-Penn memorbilia are displayed.
Last Updated: 3/1/2011 9:22 AM