Situated in the heart of the watermen's village on the north shore of the Rappahannock River with commanding views of the river, Lancaster Creek, and Mulberry Bay. The village takes its name from the Moraughtacund Indians of the Algonquian Nation encountered in the area by Captain John Smith in 1608.
Residents established the all-volunteer, non-profit museum in 2003 to preserve the cultural history of the village and maintain a community center. It is housed in the 1901 Morattico General Store building.
Artifacts, photos, and documents related to activities in a working watermen's settlement and the function of the general store are being preserved to honor the past and educate new generations.
Last Updated: 10/20/2014 1:53 PM