Newly renovated in 2011, the Museum preserves the people, culture, and heritage of Chincoteague. An 1866 First order Fresnel lens greets visitors in the front hall and at night winks back at the current light atop its former home on the Assateague Lighthouse. New exhibits display life on this island from before man to the present. There are 25 million year old wooly mammoth fossils and shell fossils. The shipwrecks and treasures exhibit features items found in the waters around the Island. The Guilded Age exhibit depicts life in the late 19th century when wealthy merchants owned large Victorian homes on the Island. A new acquisition that will delight visitors both old and young is the 1880 volunteer fire company hand pumper. Early sailing history comes to life in a models exhibit of vessels used on our bays, creeks, and channels. Videos of the oystering industry and the 1962 flood enhance exhibits featuring both. The Museum is open from April through Thanksgiving weekend daily, except Mondays. It is an easy stop going or coming from the Refuge just on the left as you head into the park.
Last Updated: 7/14/2011 5:36 PM