Schwartz Tavern

Although under construction the museum is still open to the general population Come down to Blackstone, To the Schwartz Tavern and view these amazing sights!
Schwartz Tavern introduces people to the earlier lifestyles of Blackstone
Address
100 Tavern Street
Blackstone, VA 23824
Region Central Virginia
Locality Nottoway
Phone: (434) 292-7795
Museum office: (434) 292-1459
Schwartz Tavern www.blackstonemuseums.9f.com/about.html

Schwartz Tavern, Blackstone’s oldest building, was purchased by an early settler in Nottoway County named John Schwartz in 1790. In May 1798, Schwartz was issued a license to operate a tavern at this site. Schwartz Tavern has been altered several times over its history. A ballroom addition is on its north side. The southern end of the tavern dates from the early 19th century and was known as the “dwelling house”. In the 1840’s, the two buildings were connected. The interior trim may be characterized as Federal in style based primarily on the form of the four downstairs mantles. An inventory taken at the time of John Schwartz's death in 1807 is displayed on site and has been used to determine the approximate furnishings for the tavern. In later years, the tavern became the home of Gilliam Anderson until his death in 1948.




Last Updated: 6/11/2013 2:06 PM
  • Enter to Win

    Spring 2014 spring sweeps 
  • Get the Virginia Travel Guide

    2014 Virginia Travel Guide

    Order your Free Virginia Travel Guide.

     Order now button  

  • Travel Updates

    What's going on around Virginia? Subscribe to the Virginia eNews.

    Subscribe