The Fieldale Community Center is a historic building located in the heart of the Village of Fieldale, Virginia. The Village of Fieldale was born in the wake of the county’s textile boom and during the area’s industrialization in the early 1900’s. In 1917 Chicago's Marshall Field & Company began construction of Fieldcrest Mills, a plant that would eventually cover four acres. Along with the mill also came the area's very first paved road which connected Fieldale to Martinsville. After completion of the road, a school, a lodge, a hotel, stores and the Fieldale Community Center were built in the village. And so Henry County began to industrialize. By 1919 Fieldcrest Mills was one of the first textile mills in the area, producing towels. Marshall Field had created the largest retail and wholesale dry goods company in the world, and also the facilities needed to manufacture the merchandise it sold. After being sold a few times during the 1900’s, the company eventually ceased operations in 2003.
Even with the plant closed, the Fieldale Community Center remained open until 2015 as a community recreational facility for community residents and visitors alike.
Last Updated: 5/20/2015 1:57 PM