Historic Meems Bottom Covered Bridge

Historic Meems Bottom Covered Bridge
Historic Meems Bottom Covered Bridge
Address
Wissler Road
Mount Jackson, VA 22842
Region Shenandoah Valley
Locality Shenandoah
Phone: (888) 367-3965
Website www.mountjackson.com

One of the best-known covered bridges is the 204-foot single-span Burr arch truss known as Meem's Bottom Covered Bridge in Mount Jackson. The Meem's Bottom Bridge was constructed in 1892-93 from materials cut and quarried nearby for the massive arch supports and stone abutments, which extended 10 feet below the riverbed. It was deeded to the Highway Department in the 1930's in return for assuming its maintenance.

This long span over the North Fork of the river carried traffic for more than 80 years before being burned by vandals on Halloween 1976. After salvaging the original timbers, the bridge was reconstructed and eventually undergirded with steel beams and concrete piers. The bridge was reopened to traffic in 1979 and is still in operation to date.

One of the many stops along the Wilderness Trail in Shenandoah County!




Last Updated: 8/14/2006 2:29 PM
  • Get the Virginia Travel Guide

    2014 Virginia Travel Guide

    Order your Free Virginia Travel Guide.

     Order now button  

  • Travel Updates

    What's going on around Virginia? Subscribe to the Virginia eNews.

    Subscribe