This 1,554 acre park in urban Northern Virginia includes wetlands, forest, meadows, streams and a pond. There are resident deer, fox, beaver, heron, hawks as well as abundant wildflowers. Facilities include a visitor center, auditorium, exhibits, interpretive trail with wetlands boardwalk and observation platforms.
History In colonial times, this land was part of the extensive plantation holdings of George Mason IV. Thomson Mason, a grandson of George Mason, built a home on the property in 1825. The villa, now known as Historic Huntley, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Virginia Landmarks Register, and the Fairfax County Historic House Inventory. An exhibit of Historic Huntley is available online. Mason family ownership lasted into the late 1800s, with track of the land being sold to other farmers. The house, along with a large portion of land, was sold to Albert W. Harrison who converted the grain farm to a dairy operation.
Last Updated: 2/21/2014 2:27 PM