- The Marine Science Consortium
- 34001 Mill Dam Road
- Wallops Island,
- Region Eastern Shore
- Locality Accomack
- Sunday, April 13, 2014 - Friday, April 18, 2014
- Sunday, October 19, 2014 - Friday, October 24, 2014
- Sunday, November 16, 2014 - Friday, November 21, 2014
- Phone: (757) 824-5636
- Fax: (757) 824-5638
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.msconsortium.org
Come to majestic Wallops Island to learn a craft that has been woven into the local culture over hundreds of years. Coiled sea grass basketry reflects the beauty of the barrier island marshes, and you'll learn to create your own in a small group setting with an award-winning instructor. This 6 day, 5 night course has thourough field trips and lectures, where you will gain a special appreciation for the island ecology and what's being done to protect this fragile and ever-changing habitat.
• Learn to sustainably gather spartina, cordgrass and other materials and then create two or three coiled sea grass baskets from scratch.
• Learn about the ecology of Wallops Island, a restricted-access beach owned by NASA, and Pocomoke State Park, one of the northernmost cypress swamps in the U.S.
• Enjoy a traditional Chesapeake Bay boil, a family style, succulent seafood feast.
Price: Cost: $596/person (includes meals, lodging, instruction, transportation during program and materials)
Last Updated: 11/21/2013 3:12 PM