This large brick townhouse was built by William Alexander, a prominent and successful businessman, about 1789. This dwelling, used as a store and family residence, reflects his wealth and standing in the community. It is one of three remaining brick buildings in Lexington to have four corner fireplaces, and is the only one with fine detailing and glazed headers that form a pattern on its brick walls. In 1841, when Lexington lowered the main streets, an additional lower floor was exposed and the front door reoriented. In the 1860s and 1870s additional renovations included a flattened roof line, heavy overhangs and Italianate brackets. Today it serves as a country inn.
Last Updated: 10/6/2008 9:31 AM