The original Frozen Dairy Bar was opened in 1950 by Guy and Walter Sponseller. The business was housed in an art-deco style road side stand that was noted for its six-foot tall neon ice cream cone perched on top of the building, and decorative “wings” with large holes on the building’s side. Serving freshly made frozen custard,it attracted people from all over the Washington area.
Over the years, the business has changed hands, and the original building lost.
In early 2007, the Frozen Dairy Bar moved into its current, larger location, and added pizza to its existing frozen custard menu.Yes, the lines will get long on a hot summer night, but the wait for what Washingtonian Magazine has called “the best treat in town” has always been worth it.
Last Updated: 1/27/2010 10:01 AM