In 1792, Edward Stabler, a young Quaker pharmacist, started the family business which operated continuously for 141 years. When the Depression forced the Shop's closing in 1933, the doors were simply locked, preserving its contents for history. Most of the original herbs, potions and paper labels remain in their drawers and over 8,000 objects such as pill rollers, mortars and pestles, drug mills, medical glassware and furnishings are still in place. Patrons of the Shop included George & Martha Washington, George Mason, Henry Clay, John C. Calhoun, Daniel Webster & Robert E. Lee.Special events and ongoing programs throughout the year. Has museum shops of antiques and collectibles.
Last Updated: 1/29/2013 4:05 PM