Begin this drive at Windy Cove Church on Rt. 39, west of Millboro Springs and Rt. 42. Windy Cove was in established in 1749 by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians seeking freedom of worship. The original log meeting house was burned down in the French Indian War. In 1766, the congregation moved the building to the "cove" named for a nearby limestone "blowing" cave. The brick church was built in 1838.
Head north on Rt. 678 to Coursey Springs Fish Hatchery a new state of the art facility operated by DGIF, one of 9 in the state. Coursey Springs is a strictly grow out facility; no trout are spawned or hatched. Free guided tours from 8-3, 365 days a year.
Go north on Rt. 678 to the bridge across the Cowpasture River where you will be on Ft. Lewis Lands. The Lewises were the principal family in the frontier days for this region. Coming from Ireland they were surveyors and acquired large tracts on the rivers and at one time owned the Warm Springs and Hot Springs tracts.
Charles and Andrew Lewis were noted Indian fighters. Charles was killed at the Battle of Point Pleasant now considered the first conflict of the American Revolution. Fort Lewis was built in 1750 as a small stockade. While there are no remnants remaining of the original fort,the vast 3200 acre farm known as Ft. Lewis Plantation has remained relatively unchanged and is today home to Ft. Lewis Lodge Bed and Breakfast.
Continuing on Rt. 678 will take you to Williamsville where the Bullpasture and Cowpasture rivers meet; and where there was a skirmish in 1862 between Bath Calvary and a Union foraging party during the early days of Stonewall Jackon's Valley Campaign.
Continuing on Rt. 678 to McDowell, turn left on Rt. 250 to Monterey then left on Rt. 220 south to Warm Springs. The return to Warm Springs down the upper waters of the Jackson River is 30 unbroken miles of beautiful scenery. Return to the villages of Warm Springs and Hot Springs with historical building as well as shops and restaurants.