- 852 Redlands Farm Road
- Region Central Virginia
- Locality Albemarle
- Saturday, April 26, 2014 (10:00 AM-5:00 PM)
- Sunday, April 27, 2014 (12:00 PM-5:00 PM)
- Monday, April 28, 2014 (10:00 AM-5:00 PM)
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014 (10:00 AM-5:00 PM)
- Garden Club of Virginia: (804) 644-7776
- PR Chair,Christina Teague: (434) 962-0516
- GCV office firstname.lastname@example.org
- PR Chair,Christina Teague email@example.com
- Website www.vagardenweek.org
The rich cultural heritage of the Jefferson era is reflected in this year's local HGW tour. Each of the three properties is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is part of the Southern Albemarle Rural Historic District. Several buildings in the district reflect the influence of Thomas Jefferson's classical architectural ideals and much of the land is still held in large farms as it has been since the 18th century. Visitors will have the opportunity to tour the elegant brick homes of Redlands, c. 1798 and Esmont, c. 1816. Bellair Farm highlights its CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, offering examples of how sustainable strategies have preserved this historic farm for over two centuries.
In addition to the Southern Albemarle properties, Christ Episcopal Church Glendower will be open courtesy of parish volunteers. Morven Estate gardens and house will be open on Saturday, April 26. The University of Virginia is included on Tuesday, April 29 with tours of the West Lawn Pavilions, Carr's Hill, Morea Garden and Arboretum and the Harrison Institute/Small Special Collections Library.
Admission Fee: $35 Advanced ticket purchase; $40 tour day admission. Individual house tickets available on day of event; Morven tickets are an additional $15 in advance; $20 on the day of event. UVA events and locations are free of charge.
Last Updated: 2/18/2014 3:11 PM