Originally built in 1724 by William Ramsay, the house was probably barged up-river from Dumfries, VA to its present site after Alexandria was established in 1749. Ramsay, Alexandria's first postmaster, was a Scottish merchant and City founder. The Visitors Center was opened in 1956. It offers comprehensive services-- orientation video, maps brochures, reservations, foreign translations of materials, tickets for special events and for Mount Vernon sold here. Seasonal walking tours depart from the Ramsay House.
Last Updated: 3/14/2013 2:14 PM