Visit the place where "History and Hospitality Meet".
Home to Harrisonburg's first mayor Isaac Hardesty, the house bears his name and the name of the physician, Henry Higgins, who began construction in 1848. Hardesty completed construction of the home by 1853 and lived in the house with his wife, Ann, and two children. Isaac Hardesty supported the Union and moved from Harrisonburg during the early part of the Civil War. The Strayer sisters occupied the house and, during their stay, the sisters hosted Union General Nathaniel Banks. The house served as an inn after the war and was home to the Virginia Craftsman, makers of handcrafted furniture, from the 1920s to the 1980s.
In May 2001, the City of Harrisonburg purchased the house. The intention was to create a multi-use facility to serve the community as a visitor center and museum that would restore the home's significance to the City of Harrisonburg.
Today, the building is operated by Harrisonburg Tourism. Inside you will find Visitor Services, the Rocktown Gift Shoppe, The Valley Turnpike Museum, the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Civil War Orientation Center and the executive offices for Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and Harrisonburg Tourism. Visitor Services is open Mon-Sun 9am-5pm.