Original Name: -
Lee County & Wilderness Road S.P.
Martin's Station, built in 1775, by Joseph Martin and a party of woodsmen in Powell Valley, was approximately 12 miles from the Cumberland Gap. Martin's small fort stood along Boone's Trace bound for Kentucky, which became known as the Wilderness Road. The station served as a welcome refuge for weary settlers headed west in the early days of southwest Virginia and Kentucky settlement.