335 Cummings Street,
Abingdon, VA 24210
Sinking Spring Cemetery was established as the burial ground for members of the Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1773. These early settlers purchased 55 acres for a nominal sun from Dr. Thomas Walker, an explorer and wealthy land speculator who was promoting the development of the town of Abingdon. The members of the congregation, led by Rev. Charles Cummings, built their log church house and laid out the cemetery on 11 acres. Later they sold off the remaining 44 acres.