In 1759, Daniel Boone blazed a trail from East Tennessee, through the Iron Mountain Water Gap and what are now the towns of Damascus and Abingdon, and on into Kentucky. Henry Mock was on his way to Kentucky in the early 1800's on this very trail when he arrived in Damascus and decided to stay. He purchased land and built a grist mill and the community became known as Mock's Hill. Although Damascus was renamed in 1886 by Civil War General John D. Imboden who had visions of a steel town as famous as its namesake in the Middle East, Damascus became known for its lumber industry and not for the iron ore that Imboden thought was hidden in the earth below the prolific forests of timber.
Town of Damascus Today