335 Cummings Street,
Abingdon, VA 24210
From the late 1860's until 1898 children who lived on the west side of Damascus attended the "Old Laurel School" which was located just outside the present day city limits (between the road and the river near CM). It was a one room log cabin at first, later it was a frame house. A larger school was needed by the late 1890's and a new school building was built just down the road in what is known as "Roe Town." The New Laurel School was one room with a pot-bellied stove in its center. The new school operated until 1923 when the new consolidated "rock school" was built. During its history the New Laurel School was also a community center and a church. After the school board no longer needed the building it was sold to the people of the community and has since been the Laurel Community Church.