25 Bank Square
Fincastle, VA 24090
Website: click here
Fincastle was one of the first communites in the sprawling area (Botetourt) that included all of Kentucky, part of Ohio, most of Indiana and Illinois, and stretched to the Mississippi River. The settlement known as Miller's Mill, soon to be re-christened Fincastle, was chosen as the county seat. Fincastle was far more than just a county seat in those days; it was virtually a sub-capitol of Virginia. Through it went the new wettlers moving west, for it was the last place where adequate supplies could be purchased before the plunge into the wilderness. (Journal of the ROanoke Historical Society. Winter 1970).
Historic Fincastle Today
Fincastle was incorporated in 1772 and has been the County seat for Botetourt County since that time. It is currently a town of 350 people and is a virtual museum of American architecture from the late 1770's through the 21st. Century. Both the County Courthouse and the museum are filled with records of families who migrated through the Shenandoah Valley on their way south and west. An historic tour of this quaint village is availble, through Historic Fincastle, Inc. William Clark (Lewis and Clark) married local resident, Judith Hancock, after the great expedition. The center of town, Courthouse Square, contains the famous courthouse reportedly designed by Thomas Jefferson. It is one of 100 contributing buildings to the Historic District that has both state and national designation.