Founded by Scots-Irish pioneers, Augusta Academy was founded 20 miles north of Lexington in 1749. The school moved to Lexington in 1782 where it became Liberty Hall Academy. George Washington endowed the struggling school with James River Canal stock in 1796; the school became Washington Academy, later Washington College. In 1870, after the death of then president of the College, Robert E. Lee, the school became Washington and Lee University.
Lee Chapel at Washington and Lee University Today