William Williams built this structure in 1845 as his residence and mercantile serving travelers along the Great Road. In 1987 the building was relocated to prevent its destruction. Today it houses the Salem Museum, with local history exhibits highlighting Salem's history from American Indian villages to modern times.
Salem Museum Today
In a lush valley of the Blue Ridge-along what was once the "Great Road" leading westward through Virginia-sits the historic Williams-Brown House. A two-story brick home listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Brown House is typical of buildings which served travelers in the mid-19th century. Originally used for the dual purpose of a residence and post office/general store, today it is home to the Salem Museum. As an educational and cultural resource center, the Museum maintains an important collection of local artifacts-including Native American pieces recovered from an early Indian settlement, relics of the Civil War, and mementos of daily life from the span of Salem's history. The Museum Shop features books, crafts, replicas, educational toys, and more. Group tours may be scheduled in advance by calling the Salem Museum.