St. Clair’s Bottom Primitive Baptist Church

Frontier Trail
Home>The Road>Smyth County>St. Clair’s Bottom Primitive Baptist Church
 

Historical Significance St. Clair’s Bottom Primitive Baptist Church - Photo by Kristy Nunley

One of the few remaining pre-Revolutionary churches in Southwest Virginia, St. Clair's Bottom Primitive Baptist Church was organized in 1775. The present building was erected in 1851 on the site of a log meeting house, which was deeded to the congregation by Colonel Joseph Cole. Colonel Cole is buried in the cemetery surrounding the church.


St. Clair’s Bottom Primitive Baptist Church Today

One of the Pre-Revolutionary churches in Southwest Virginia, organized in 1775, the present building was erected in 1851 on the site of a log meeting house deed to the congregation by Colonial Joseph Cole is is buried in the cemetery surrounding the church.



On Virginia.org St. Clair’s Bottom Primitive Baptist Church