Irish immigrant William King built this log house in 1795. King was one our nation's early commercial salt producers. Years later, in 1856, William A. Stuart, brother of Confederate hero J.E.B Stuart, purchased the property. After J.E.B. Stuart's death, his widow, Flora, moved into this home with her two small children, where she taught school. Flora later moved to Staunton, VA, and became head of Stuart Hall, an Episcopal school for girls. The structure is locally known as the King-Stuart House.
King-Stuart House Today
The cabin was occupied from its beginning (circa 1795) through the 1960s. See the many visible indicators of the numerous transitional modernization periods the cabin has experienced. The original builders of the cabin probably never envisioned the cabins life expectancy nor the influence its occupants would have on the cultural developments. Enjoy the stories relating to the various families occupying the cabin including William King, William Alexander Stuart brother of Confederate Cavalry General J. E. B. Stuart, Flora Stuart, the widow of Gen. Stuart and others.