Located in Saltville near a Civil War battlefield, Elizabeth Cemetery has graves dating from the time of the land donation in 1825, and it contains remains of some of the Confederate soldiers killed in Saltville's two battles. The cemetery was named in honor of Elizabeth Henry Campbell Russell (Madam Russell).
Elizabeth Cemetery Today
The Elizabeth Cemetery was associated with Elizabeth Church which is thought to have been the oldest Methodist church built in Smyth County. The land for the church and the cemetery was donated by Elizabeth Henry Campbell Russell "Madam Russell" in 1825. Located in Saltville near the civil war battlefield, this cemetery has graves dating from the time of the land donation and contains some remains of Confederate soldiers killed in the two Saltville battles.