Virginia has much to offer competitors and spectators this year. Read the news release for additional highlights of what's new in sports in Virginia for 2016.
MAJOR EVENTS IN 2016
USA Hockey High School National Championship March 17-21, 2016 - Ashburn/Reston, VA
Forty of the best high school hockey teams will compete for the 2016 USA Hockey High School National Championships. The tournament will crown championship teams in two divisions, with the competition being held at the Ashburn Ice House and Skatequest ice rinks.
Rugged Maniacs at the Virginia Motorsports Park, May 7, 2016 - Dinwiddie, VA
Come and test yourself on this 3-mile course with plenty of mud. Climb towers of shipping crates, rocket down a massive water slide, crawl through underground tunnels and leap over fire among many BIG obstacles. There are 25 epic obstacles, but when it’s over there is one rockin’ party! Even at the party you are still moving – mechanical bulls, adult bounce houses and dancing the rest of the day away!
National Field Hockey Coaches Association Top Recruit Spring Fling, May 13-15, 2016 - Midlothian, VA
A premier girl’s field hockey recruiting tournament and open to all girls graduating high school in 2017, 2018 and 2019, the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Top Recruit Spring Fling is anticipating 125 teams from across the United States and 5,000 total attendee. The River City Sportsplex features 12 sport turf fields, nine of which are lighted.
USA Ultimate Beach Championships, May 14-15, 2016 - Virginia Beach, VA
The USA Ultimate Beach Championships are held at the Resort Beach. The fast pace game combining frisbee with soccer and football takes to the sand providing a national level ultimate frisbee competition for players of any caliber. With non-stop movement, athletic endurance and aerial passing, it makes sense where it got the name.
Air Force Association Cycling Classic, June 11-12, 2016 - Arlington, VA
The Air Force Association Cycling Classic is the region’s premier cycling event, open to cycling enthusiasts of all abilities. Racing will feature the nation’s top Pro men and women, which are part of the prestigious National Criterium Calendar. Amateurs of all abilities can participate on Sunday morning’s Air Force Association Cycling Classic Challenge Ride.
American Marksman Competition, June-August 2016 - Manassas, VA
American Marksman is a unique new shooting competition at Elite Shooting Sports that will pit amateur shooters of all ages against each other for the title of The American Marksman.
2016 USA BMX ‘Stars and Stripes’ National BMX Tournament, July 1-3, 2016 - Woodbridge, VA
A qualifying event for the 2016 Olympic Games, the 2016 USA BMX ‘Stars and Stripes’ National Tournament is part of an annual 30 race National Championship Series, which spans across the U.S. and Canada. The events lead up to the 2016 BMX Olympic Trials on the Supercross track at the Olympic Training Center and ultimately ending with the August 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.
Premier Girls Fastpitch Elite Futures Showcase, July 5-10, 2016 - Loudoun County
The inaugural Premier Girls Fastpitch Elite Futures Showcase debuts in Loudoun with an anticipated 175 teams featuring some of their top national talent in front of college coaches from across the country. Premier Girls Fastpitch provides a national platform where players can demonstrate their individual and team-enhancing skills. The event will be played at Philip Bolen Memorial Park, Potomac Lakes Sportsplex, Claude Moore Park and several other venues in Loudoun.
Great Meadow International & FEI Nations Cup, July 9-10, 2016 - The Plains, VA
The Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) and United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) have chosen the Land Rover Great Meadow International presented by Adequan®, to host the first-ever FEI Nations Cup™ Eventing competition to be held outside Europe. The event, the only U.S. leg of the series, will be held at the picturesque Great Meadow and will also host the Land Rover U.S. Eventing Team in its final preparation trial prior to next summer's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
ASA/USA National Softball Championship, July 31, 2016 (Girls’ 12 and under), Sept. 2, 2016 (Men’s Slow Pitch) - Salem, VA
The Amateur Softball Association (ASA), a volunteer driven, not-for-profit organization has evolved into the strongest softball organization in the country. A number of games will be held in Salem.
EVP Beach Volleyball World Championships, Aug. 12-13, 2016 - Hampton, VA
Paradise Ocean Club on Fort Monroe will host the largest beach volleyball tour in the United States with over 18 events and 5,000 athletes competing each summer.
US Figure Skating South Atlantic Regional, Oct. 5-9. 2016 - Ashburn, VA
In partnership with the Washington Figure Skating Club, the Ashburn Ice House will host the US Figure Skating South Atlantic Regional Championships. 10 states and the District of Columbia will be represented in the five-day event, with the top four place winners in each event advancing to their respective Sectional Championships.
VENUES and ATTRACTIONS
STATEWIDENew Transportation Options for Athletes and Spectators:
- AMTRAK Virginia Passengers can enjoy daily roundtrip one-seat service from Norfolk to Petersburg, Richmond, Washington DC and up the mid-Atlantic to Boston. Check www.AmtrakVirginia.com for stop off and stop over suggestions.
- Washington, DC area Metro subway’s new Silver Line Phase 1 with service to Reston, Virginia is now open. Phase 2 will extend service all the way to Washington Dulles Airport and is expected to open 2018.
- The Virginia Railway Express is planning a train stop between Rippon and Quantico to be completed by 2017.
The Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center sets a new standard in the NFL for summer training camp facilities. The project provides state-of-the-art facilities and two natural grass football fields designed especially for the Redskins during the three-week training period. Bon Secours Health System operate the building as a full-service sports medicine rehabilitation and men’s health center throughout the year, in addition to offering men’s health, fitness and education programs and healthy kids initiative. The fields are available for youth programming, tournaments and other uses.
XL Sports World has installed two brand new state-of-the-art indoor fields which can be used for soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and other sports. Its business is largely from soccer teams, but the complex also caters to lacrosse and baseball. Amenities include on-site Sports Cafe & Lounge with kitchen, premium bathrooms including showers and changing facility and bleachers for spectator viewing. In addition, they opened up an XL Sports Tours travel office.
- Deep Creek Park complex offers four lighted baseball fields – (three bronco and one pony field) – all with grass infields. The park also offers four multi-purpose fields – two lighted; a dog park; an extensive trail system, several picnic areas, permanent concession and restrooms and ample free parking. The park hooks into a trail system that extends along the border of the Historic Great Dismal Swamp Wildlife Refuge making for a great biking, running or hiking experience.
The new 5,108 sq. ft. Tennis Operations Center at Huntington Park Tennis Center includes lockers, bathrooms, showers, a pro shop, a conference room, and a multi-purpose room that will be used by officials for tournaments. The area also features a 60-acre park with a public beach and public boat ramp, a rose garden, ball fields, and Fort Fun, a 15,000 square foot playground overlooking the James River.
Norfolk Collegiate School, an independent, coeducational day school, recently finished an addition of a $2.6 million athletic complex featuring two side-by-side, competition-size artificial turf fields with lights. This is the only turf facility in the Hampton Roads region with two side-by-side fields with lights. The artificial turf fields are pre-lined for soccer, field hockey, women’s lacrosse and men’s lacrosse and there is spectator seating for approximately 500 fans.
- The Virginia Beach Tennis and Country Club has a brand new Tennis Center with 90,000 square feet of indoor family tennis, fitness and fun. The facility will include 10 Deco Turf II Indoor Courts, 30 Outdoor Courts (27 Clay, 3 Hard, 6 Quick Start Junior Courts), Health Club & Fitness Center, on-site restaurant and lounge and a JR. Olympic pool.
- The new Philpott Marina and Campground is located in Bassett, VA on beautiful Philpott Lake. The marina features 40 boat slips that are available for rental on a yearly basis. Amenities include a fueling station with non-ethanol fuel, a marina store with fishing supplies, food, drinks and snacks, and public restrooms. Philpott Lake hosted the FLW Northwestern Conference College Fishing Championships that was televised internationally on December 16, 2012.
- The Virginia Soccer Training Center is owned and operated by Virginia Youth Soccer Association and is one of the finest soccer training facilities on the East Coast. Situated half way between Washington, DC and Richmond, the facility boasts nine FIFA regulation fields including a small stadium. The facility will be the future home of VYSA's State offices and indoor training facility. VSTC will host tournaments, regional and national sports events including the National Championship Series (State Cup). Two full sized turf fields with Musco lights, a bowled show case field designed to enhance the atmosphere, seven high quality Bermuda grass fields, two small 3v3 fields and a centrally located building provide the VYSA with a unique facility that can indeed change the culture of the game.
- Elite Shooting Sports, a state of the art indoor shooting range and training facility located in Manassas, boasts four separate ranges that operate independently - two 25-yard 12-lane ranges, one 50-yard 10-lane range and one 100-yard 8-lane range. The facility offers range and gun rentals, a wide variety of training classes and more.
- Dominion Raceway & Entertainment is coming in the spring of 2016, the racetrack will have a 2 mile road course, a 4/10ths mile paved NASCAR oval track and 1/8th mile drag strip. The facility will also be available for meetings, conventions and special events.
- Embrey Mill Park is currently under construction and scheduled to be completed in 2016 with approximately 58 acres, home to as many as 12 fields, including areas for soccer, lacrosse, and football. Also included in the park will be the Jeff Rouse Swim and Sport Center, an indoor recreation facility of 75,000 square feet will house a 50 meter x 25 yard competition pool, a shallow warm-up and warm-down pool that will also include a play area for younger children, and a therapy pool for rehabilitation. Also included is a full-sized basketball court, an area for exercise and fitness equipment, and a few classrooms for programming purposes.
- Named after the U.S. Woman’s National Soccer World Cup champion, Ali Kreiger, the Ali Krieger Sports Complex is situated on 29.7 acres. When complete, the complex will include nine rectangular multi-purpose fields, a softball field, two Little League Fields, restrooms, a tot lot, and parking. The first phase of this project is scheduled to open in early 2017.
Cregger Center at Roanoke College, a 155,000 square foot facility featuring a fieldhouse with a 200m indoor track and a gym with seating for 2500 basketball fans, will open in August 2016 and is expected to host regional and possibly state high school track meets as well as the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Indoor track meet in 2017.
HEART OF APPALACHIA
- The Spearhead Trails are a Southwest Virginia riding destination with over 200 miles of ATV/OHV trails for every skill level. There are currently four ATV trail systems in Southwest Virginia, “Mountain View” located in St. Paul, “Original Pocahontas” in Pocahontas, “Coal Canyon” in Buchanan, and “Stone Mountain” in Pennington Gap. Most of the trails offer riding experiences for all skill levels from easy green trails to our more challenging black trails.