When luxury is key, look for the Forbes Travel Guide Star Ratings.
Forbes Travel Guide is the originator of the Five Star Ratings and dates to 1958. Properties are rated with objectivity and high standards. More than 500 criteria are weighed to achieve a Forbes Travel Guide Star Rating.
Five Star Hotels
Inn at Little Washington ~ Washington, Virginia
- "The inn exemplifies southern hospitality at its finest. At every turn a staff member will warmly greet you by name and inquire about your stay."
- "With just 18 rooms, the inn is meticulously clean and well maintained. All of the rooms and suites are unique (down to the bedspreads) and are spread throughout the inn's property in several charming colonial buildings."
- "The inn makes up most of the historic town of Washington; the spacious shop is housed in a building that dates back to the 1700s and holds quite an array of goods, from cook books and aprons to cigars and spa robes."
The Jefferson Hotel ~ Richmond, Virginia
- "Many staffers have been with the Jefferson for 20 years or more, so you'll feel as if you're at a smaller property, not a large hotel in the center of Richmond, Va."
- "The Jefferson's Beaux Arts facade is one of the city's most recognized landmarks — it's even rumored the massive staircase was used as a model in Gone with the Wind."
Four Star Hotels
Clifton Inn ~ Charlottesville, Virginia
The Inn at Willow Grove ~ Orange, Virginia
The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City ~ Arlington, Virginia
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner ~ McLean, Virginia
Salamander Resort & Spa ~ Middleburg, Virginia
The Williamsburg Inn ~ Williamsburg, Virginia
The Williamsburg Lodge ~ Williamsburg, Virginia
Last Updated: 2/14/2017