The Balthis House is the oldest surviving structure on the oldest street in Front Royal, built circa 1787 by two of the founders of Front Royal.
On half an acre lot in Historic Front Royal, the house is a rare surviving example of a two-story wood frame Federal-style townhouse. There is also a playhouse (of late 19th century origin) and two out-buildings. The outdoor kitchen is the only known such structure in Front Royal or Warren County.
The house has many architectural elements salvaged from other houses of the same era that were demolished, and includes appointments of furnishings of the period. The site features a garden, as well as a "Three Sisters" garden in the Native American tradition.
Front Royal was a prosperous center of wagon manufacturing, serving the westward expansion of the US. As successful blacksmiths in mid-19th century, the Balthis family was able to put interesting additions on the original house.
Guided tours of The Balthis House are given six days a week (closed Saturdays mid-November to April). Reservations may be made on website or, space permitting, onsite. Tour schedule: 10:30 a.m., 12 noon, 1:30 and 3 p.m. Group tours welcome -- please contact office.
- Family Friendly
- LGBT Friendly
- Ticket to tour historic properties is $10 per person. Children are free.
Last Updated: 04/21/2020