Discover Virginia's Breathtaking Mountains
Virginia’s mountains have inspired generations of songs, but their beauty may leave you speechless. The breathtaking views they provide reach beyond a purely visual appeal. Virginia mountain travelers experience unique Appalachian culture, heritage, music, regional art, world-class wine and everything imaginable for outdoor recreation. This beauty and bounty have inspired generations of musicians and travelers to explore and make themselves at home. This is why Virginia is for Mountain Lovers.
- Virginia is home to one-fourth of the Appalachian Trail and national icons including Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Virginia is also home to lesser-known gems like the wilderness of the George Washington & Jefferson National Forest and the peaks and wild ponies of the Mount Rogers Recreation Area.
- Shenandoah National Park is located just 75 miles from DC, and boasts more than 200,000 acres of waterfalls, hiking trails, campsites, outdoor recreation.
- The Blue Ridge Parkway runs 217 miles in Virginia, with spectacular views, scenic drives and overlooks, including historic Skyline Drive.
- Virginia has 38 State Parks and 21 National Parks all ready to explore across the commonwealth.
- Mount Rogers is the highest mountain in Virginia at 5,729 feet.
- Virginia also has eight mountain ranges, with five peaks towering more than 5,000 feet.