The Coastal Virginia - Hampton Roads region continues to draw visitors year after year. There's so much to see and do year 'round that you'll definitely be glad you came.
The Historic Triangle
Visit Historic Jamestowne, the Birthplace of English-speaking America, as well as Jamestown Settlement and American Revolution Museum in Yorktown.
Nearby attractions include:
- Colonial National Historical Park
- Colonial Williamsburg, the nation's largest living history museum, is actually a functional colonial town itself, and one of the most popular destinations in the world!
- Families, be sure to visit Busch Gardens theme park, voted the most beautiful theme park in the world, and soaking-wet fun Water Country USA!
- Golfers, this region is home to some of the best award-winning golf courses in the country, such as Kingsmill Resort & Spa.
Twenty-nine miles of Atlantic Oceanfront are accessible on the expanded white sands of Virginia Beach, with its famous paved Boardwalk and free seasonal events. Enjoy outdoor activities as well as these popular sites:
- Cape Henry Lighthouses - the oldest was built in 1792
- Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center
- Old Coast Guard Station
- Mount Trashmore Park
- False Cape State Park and First Landing State Park - where the English first landed before moving up-river to Jamestown.
In Norfolk, port of Cruise Norfolk, where large ocean liners dock at Nauticus, The National Maritime Center, you can see the Battleship Wisconsin, with tours given by navy personnel from the Hampton Roads Naval Museum next door.
The coastal cities of Newport News, Hampton and Portsmouth offer:
- The Mariners' Museum and Park, Newport News
- Virginia Living Museum, Newport News
- U.S. Army Transportation Museum, Newport News
- Fort Monroe, "Freedom's Fort" in Hampton
- Hampton University, founded in 1868
- Virginia Air & Space Center, Hampton
- Naval Shipyard Museum, Portsmouth
- Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum, Portsmouth
- Children's Museum of Virginia, Portsmouth
- Charles City
- Newport News
- Virginia Beach
- Charles City County
- Isle of Wight County
- James City County
- New Kent County
- Southampton County
- Surry County
- York County
Trendy Neighborhood Guide: Virginia Beach & Norfolk
Made up of nine independent cities along Virginia’s coast, Hampton Roads is home to over 1.8 million people and draws visitors to…
Hip Hop in Hampton Roads
Hip hop is huge in Hampton Roads. How huge? Chart-topping hits. Some of the most legendary producers the genre has ever known. And…
Coastal Virginia Craft Beverage Guide
If you’re heading to the beach for a surfside Virginia vacation, plan a pit stop at a few of these coastal breweries for some…
WanderLove: A Road Trip From Williamsburg to Norfolk
On this road trip, we’re taking you through the Historic Triangle and Virginia’s Salty Southern Route, traveling to notable…
Getaway To Virginia Beach
Bask in the sun, play in the surf and soak up all the richness of the natural beauty around you.
Un-Wine'd in Chesapeake
Set Chesapeake as your affordable hub and go on a wine-filled adventure! Explore a winery for the ages, and then make-your-own at…
Escape to Yorktown and Sail into the Sunset Together!
Nestled beside the York River sits one of Virginia’s best kept secrets. Yorktown is known for its history—but…
Tides of History
Colonial Parkway delivers you from the settlement of 1607 to the decisive 1781 Revolutionary War battle. The York River offers a…
Three Full Days to find Alexander Hamilton in Greater Williamsburg
Alexander Hamilton and his buddy, the Marquis de Lafayette, had some of the most dramatic moments of their history-making lives in…
Visit Genuine Smithfield for Hams, History, Hospitality & HeART
A visit to charming Smithfield (home of the world-famous ham) is a true “step back in time” to a genuine small-town…