Plan Your Trip With Your Pet
Why leave members of your family back at home when all you'll do is wish they were with you on your vacation? Virginia wants you to bring your pets along with you!
More and more places accommodate animals today — hotels and campgrounds, state parks and outdoor shopping centers, tourist attractions and outdoor events — so that our four-legged friends can feel part of the fun.
Many of Virginia's wineries and breweries allow dogs on their patios or designated outdoor areas. Dogs will be allowed inside or on the premises of a licensed distillery, a licensed winery or farm winery, or a licensed brewery or farm brewery, except in any area used for the manufacture or storage of food products. Vaccinated, friendly, and leashed dogs are welcome. Dogs must kept on a leash or within a pet carrier and under the control of their owner at all times. Of course, service and guide dogs are welcome everywhere with their humans!
- Pet Carrier
- Collar, ID Tags
- Food, Water
- Pooper Scooper
- Litter Supplies
- Favorite Toy
- Shot Records
- First Aid Kit
- Grooming Supplies
Dr. Mark Gottschalk, a veterinarian at Wellesley Animal Hospital in Richmond, has recommended the following travel tips:
- Make sure your travel destination allows pets.
- Have the proper travel equipment, such as kennels, crates or pet carriers. If traveling by air or train, consult the carrier for specific requirements.
- If sedating your pet for the trip, consult your veterinarian for an appropriate tranquilizer, and first try the tranquilier at home.
- While traveling, make frequent stops to allow for exercise, food and water.
- Make sure your pet is on a leash at all times when outside the car.
- Never leave your pet unattended in a car, especially in the heat!
- When you reach your destination, confine your pet to a small area — such as the bathroom — to allow it to become familiar with its new surroundings and to recover from any stress of traveling.
Pet Friendly Cabins
A Virginia vacation just isn’t the same without your best friend to share it with, so we’ve rounded…
Places To Stay
Find a place to stay for you and your pet on your next Virginia vacation. Narrow the listings my category below.