Ready to land your perfect catch?
Within an hour’s drive anywhere in the Commonwealth anglers can find excellent bank, pier and boat fishing.
Virginia has more than 2,800 miles of trout streams, in addition to numerous ponds, small lakes and reservoirs. The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources stocks trout in designated waters from fall through spring, but experienced trout anglers can find good fishing opportunities year round. Try fly fishing.
Lakes and Rivers
Tackle bass and sunfish and many other species in one of our public fishing lakes. Visit one of our many scenic rivers for fantastic smallmouth fishing or cast for a monster catfish. Virginia currently holds the IGFA World Record blue catfish caught in Bugg’s Island Lake.
Virginia’s tidal waters are home to world class blue catfish angling and offer a destination for some of the most prized shallow water angling for striped bass and flounder fishing on the East Coast.
Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean
Come and enjoy some of the best cobia, croaker, drum, flounder and striped bass fishing on the East Coast. Charter a boat for amazing blue water fishing for marlin, tuna, dolphin and more.
- Information about wildlife and boating in Virginia can be found at the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) website at www.dwr.virginia.gov.
- List of Lakes and Rivers from DWR.
- Saltwater fishing information can be found at Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) website at www.mrc.virginia.gov
- Fish Virginia First links Virginia’s fisheries with anglers, travelers, outdoor television networks and tournament organizers from across the nation. www.fishvirginiafirst.com
- Information about Virginia's Charter Boat Association can be found at www.charterboatsofvirginia.com.
- Get your Virginia Fishing License
Historic Garden Week in Virginia, known as “America’s Largest Open House,” takes place from April 23-30, 2022, offering 32 tours…