Here in Virginia, it’s pretty easy to tell: we love LOVE. From our iconic Virginia is for…
The Boone’s Bucket List Southwest Virginia LOVE Road Trip
Mother and daughter duo, Latisha and Jaithyn Boone, are the ultimate Virginia LOVEworks road warriors. They've traveled from the shores of Virginia Beach to the Shenandoah Valley to visit as many LOVEworks as possible. Now with dozens of trips under their belts, they've found the message of LOVE in nearly every corner of the state!
But they had one BIG area yet to cover — Southwest Virginia. So we sent them on a journey to explore as many LOVEworks as possible west of Roanoke. Find highlights of their trip below and follow them on Instagram to see what other LOVEworks they've visited.Instagram: @theboonesloveva
This LOVE journey kicks off in Olde Towne Pearisburg where the LOVEwork in Pearisburg is a sculpture featuring over 3,500 rocks painted by children ages 4 through 12 in public, private and home schools.
Moving on, head northwest towards Grundy to experience the LOVEwork at Southern Gap Outdoor Adventure. Whether your idea of adventure is exploring the mountains by ATV or mountain bike or kicking back and enjoying the view, this LOVEwork offers options for every adventurer.
Next up is in the town of Pocahontas in Tazewell County. This quaint town is full of LOVE as shown by the LOVEwork in Historic Pocahontas. This LOVEwork was a town effort and is comprised of donated elements like railroad tracks, wagon wheels, and iron fronts.
Head even farther west to Dickenson County to experience the LOVEwork at Breaks Interstate Park. This LOVEwork highlights the plethora of adventure around the park and the broader Southwest Virginia region. After snapping a picture with this artwork, travel on to the city of Clintwood. Experience spring, summer, fall and winter at the LOVEwork at the Dickenson County Visitor Center. This LOVEwork features beautiful paintings of each season in Dickenson showcasing the tourism, culture and history of the town.
After lots of travel down windy roads and getting photos with five (or more) LOVEworks, stop for a well-deserved rest at The Inn at Wise. This historic inn nestled in the heart of the Appalachian mountains offers wonderful accommodations and delicious cuisine. If you’re still up for exploring, head down West Main Street and into town. There you can find charming shops and delightful restaurants.
- Sylvia’s Cafe and Coffee – Pearisburg
- The Palisades Restaurant – Pearisburg
- Real McCoy Country Store & Kitchen – Tazewell
- Fisher & Company – Tazewell
- Donut Diva – Tazewell
- The Well Coffee Shop – Tazewell
- Serendipity Cafe and Catering – Grundy
- Valentino’s – Dickenson
- Rhododendron Restaurant – Dickenson
- Ridgeview Deli Mart & Wolfpack Den – Dickenson
- Moon Dog Pizza – Wise
- K&E Southern Sweets – Wise
- Pearisburg Community Market – Pearisburg
- Giles County Historical Museum – Pearisburg
- New River Water Trail – Pearisburg
- Pocahontas, Historical Coal Mining Town – Tazewell
- Spearhead Trails – Tazewell
- Grey and Honey – Tazewell
- Southern Gap Outdoor Adventure – Grundy
- Trans-American Bike Route – Dickenson
- Ralph Stanley Museum and Traditional Mountain Music Center – Dickenson
- Breaks Interstate Park Zip Line – Dickenson
- Rt. 611 Cumberland Mountain Scenic Drive – Dickenson
After a good night’s sleep at The Inn at Wise, travel towards the city of Norton to visit the LOVEwork at the Country Cabin. This unique LOVEwork has each letter representing something different. The ‘L’ represents dancing and country music, the ‘O’ represents the cities coal mining heritage, the ‘V’ represents the quilting craft and the ‘E’ represents the country cabin itself. Combined, this LOVEwork offers visitors an all-encompassing summary of the town of Norton.
A quick drive south will take you to the quaint mountain town of St. Paul where you’ll stay at The Western Front Hotel, a lovely new boutique hotel complete with 30 unique rooms. This lodging location features plenty of accommodations like The Roost, a hotel hangout spot, and ina + forbes, the on-site restaurant offering farm-to-table Appalachian eats. This hotel is pet-friendly as well!
- Fishtales Family Restaurant – Norton
- Woodbooger Grill – Norton
- Sugar Hill Brewing Company – St. Paul
- Fat Boys BBQ – St Paul
- Ma and Pas Restaurant – Castlewood
Kick off day three in Damascus. Their town’s LOVEwork proudly presides at the Damascus Old Mill Inn. Located just 20 minutes from historic Abingdon, this Inn offers all the comforts of a bed and breakfast.
Next, travel to the interactive LOVEwork in Marion, which features a 17-foot long chalk-friendly sign where visitors are encouraged to share what they LOVE about Marion.
From Marion, travel onward towards Wytheville and check out the LOVEwork in the town of Wytheville. This unique artwork shares four different aspects of the local community. Influence of railroad, the Chautauqua Festival, the cross of I-77 and I-81 and the town’s baseball history all come together in a one-of-a-kind artwork to share the character of Wytheville with visitors.
Take a load off at the Bolling Wilson Hotel, located just two minutes from the nearby LOVEwork. Amid the stunning Jefferson National Forest, the Bolling Wilson Hotel is located steps away from Historic Main Street. It also features a rooftop bar and outdoor dining with a fabulous scenic 360-degree view.
- Mojo’s Trailside Cafe & Coffee House – Damascus
- Damascus Old Mill Restaurant – Damascus
- The Black Rooster Restaurant – Marion
- Wooden Pickle – Marion
- Wolfe’s BBQ Restaurant and Catering – Marion
- The Speakeasy – Marion
- Dip Dog Stand – Marion
- Graze on Main – Wytheville
- The Log House Restaurant – Wytheville
- Moon Dog Brick Oven Pizza – Wytheville
- Virginia Creeper Trail – Damascus
- Sundog Outfitters – Damascus
- Hungry Mother State Park – Marion
- The Lincoln Theater – Marion
- Marion Regional Farmers Market – Marion
- Crystal Springs Recreation Area – Wytheville
- Beagle Ridge Gardens and Herb Farm – Wytheville
- Fort Chiswell Animal Park – Wytheville
- Wohlfahrt Haus Dinner Theatre – Wytheville
Check out our map of places where you can add more LOVE to your vacation. Be sure to share your pictures on social media by tagging @VisitVirginia using the hashtag #LOVEVA.